12 Incredible CCTV Surveillance Facts in the UK
By Data Installations & Supplies ltd
CCTV cameras are everywhere these days, we’re being surveillance left, right and centre. Shockingly, there’s probably more camera’s knocking about in the UK, than what you thought. That’s why we’ve put together a list of 12 incredible CCTV Surveillance Facts in the UK that will blow your mind.
Everyone knows that CCTV is a must when you’ve got something to protect, monitor and secure. Especially when it comes to protecting your business with CCTV, it’s great insurance, right? Well, that’s what we’ve all been told. We did some digging to see if these statements are true and you won’t believe what we found out.
Let’s dive into the 12 incredible CCTV Surveillance Facts in the UK.
12 CCTV Surveillance Facts in the UK
- The majority of footage (Up to 80% of CCTV) given as evidence is disregarded by police because the quality is so poor that it becomes almost pointless in solving crime.
- It’s estimated that the UK spends a whopping £2.2 BN per year on surveillance camera technology and CCTV.
- Out of all the CCTV surveillance cameras that monitor the UK, an estimated 500,000 of them are in or around London alone.
- Deputy Chief Constable Graeme Gerrard said there is 1 camera for every 32 people in the UK.
- The British government funded the growth of the world’s largest CCTV network, had a total budget of £420m.
- There are over 1,000 cameras currently being monitored by Leedswatch operators across Leeds city and town centres.
- CCTV surveillance is useful in about 65% of crimes where CCTV footage was available and clear.
- The estimated cost robberies and burglaries against businesses are £2bn which make up over 40% of the costs of crime.
- An extensive network of approximately 1.85 M CCTV cameras monitor the UK, mostly run by private companies.
- Smile, you’re on camera! It’s estimated that each person appears on about 300 cameras by the end of each day.
- 95% of Scotland Yard murder cases used CCTV footage as evidence in 2009.
- There are 33,443 CCTV cameras operated by local authorities in the UK.
Protect your assets with our CCTV system and installation
If your CCTV system is outdated or of poor quality, your investments will do very little to protect your assets. Burglars and thieves know this too and are increasingly brazen when visible cameras are present. If you need a new CCTV system to protect your premises, get in touch with us here.